On Wednesday June 14th the U.S. Defense Secretary James Mattis and the Minister of Defense of Qatar Khalid bin Mohammad Al Attiyah signed an agreement on the purchase of American F-15 fighters worth $12 billion dollars.
This was reported by the press service of the Pentagon.
This deal will “provide Qatar with the most advanced capabilities” in the defense sphere and “strengthen cooperation in the field of security and operational cooperation” between Washington and Doha, the statement said. According to agency Bloomberg, the deal might be about the acquisition of 36 combat vehicles. The U.S. approved the purchase in November 2016.
The information about the contract was revealed by the American side amid the Qatari diplomatic crisis and the blockade by several countries of the Middle East. The United States previously criticized the emirate and said that a number of steps made by its authorities are causing “some concern.”
Saudi Arabia and several of its allies broke off diplomatic relations with Qatar on June 5th and imposed a sea and air blockade against the emirate. Participants of the blockade accuse Doha of supporting terrorist groups.