EU will finance study of the project of tunnel between Helsinki and Tallinn

rail_baltica

The European Union will allocate €1 million for the research on a project of building a railway tunnel between Tallinn and Helsinki through the bottom of the Gulf of Finland.

The newspaper Helsingin Sanomat reported that the project FinEst Link is headed by the Finnish regional alliance Uusimaa, and involves Ministries of Transport of Finland and Estonia, as well as the cities of Helsinki and Tallinn, and Harju County of Estonia.

Researchers are to determine the technical feasibility of the project, its impact on the environment, security issues, and compare it with alternative projects related to the strengthening of the ferry service.

The budget of the FinEst Link project is €1.3 million. 75% of the funding will come from The Central Baltic Programme 2014-2020 of the European Union. The remaining 25% should come from Finland and Estonia.

The need for construction of the tunnel in Uusimaa is based on the fact that dozens of thousands of people from Estonia work in Finland, and most of them travel between Helsinki and Tallinn on a weekly basis. On the other hand, the capital of Estonia is actively visited by Finns. After the completion of Warsaw’s high-speed railway Rail Baltica in 2025, the railway freight traffic will increase sharply.

The study should be completed by February 2018.

Source: swissinfo.ch

 

Image: Ministry of Transport and Communication of the Republic of Latvia